Thursday, August 22, 2013

DIY Chalkboard Ruler Frame

Well it's back to school time.  For us it's "start school time" as this year Lil Cinnamon will be attending preschool for the first time.  I know everyone says "time flies" blah blah blah but it really does. 
 
As I was browsing Pinterest I came across this DIY Chalkboard Ruler Frame from my friend Michelle and I knew I had to do it.  I'm really good at pinning things but not so good at getting around to doing them.  Nothing like a deadline to get me motivated.  Plus it seemed pretty easy and I'm all about easy.  The hardest part for me was finding a ruler that was long enough (usually they cap out at 12") or a yardstick that didn't have advertising on it.  All of the ones at hardware stores have the company's logo on them and that just wouldn't do.  I had to go to 8 stores to find the yardstick.    Started off at Michaels, Home Depot, OSH hardware, Ace hardware, Bed Bath and Beyond, Aaron Brothers, and Staples.  BTW found it at Staples - the very last place.  Everything else was purchased at Michael's or Home Depot.

 
 
 

I'm sure I could have used a piece of fiber board or something else but that would have meant getting it cut correctly and I don't have a saw for that job.  I know Home Depot will do it but that seemed like a headache so I just got this wood board at Michael's.  Not sure what it's for.  It's pretty heavy so I'm not sure Lil Cinnamon is going to be able to hold it herself this year.  I guess we will find out soon.

I painted 3 coats of chalkboard paint.  I measured the yardstick and had Mr. Sangria cut and sand them.  He was a consultant on this project.  :)  Then I just added one coat of wood stain.



Once the chalkboard paint is dry (24 hours) you need to prep the chalkboard by "smearing" chalk all over it and wiping away with a wet cloth.  Not sure why but I do as I'm told.


Then just Gorilla Glue the yardstick to the wood board and you are done!!  Easy peasy!










I've got 2 weeks to work on my handwriting for her picture!

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment